Sunday 10 June 2012

"The MERCY project": publishing, vision & soul


James Whitlow Delano is an amazing visionary with a unique & haunting beautiful way of seeing and photographing the world. The book “The Mercy Project/ Inochi” with the renowned book designer Giorgio Baravalle of de.MO. is a piece of publishing art with heart & soul and includes 118 photographers from around the world. I was one of the photographers asked by James to contribute to his vision and project “Mercy”. The book is now available through photoeye with proceeds going to hospice care. The photographs and concept will stay with you for many years after viewing page after page of soulful images. 

James Whitlow Delano said: “I posed one question to photographers I have met all over the world, after the untimely passing of my sister, Jeanne, and last member of my nuclear family: ‘share with me one photograph that says to you ‘MERCY’.  Such a body of work I hoped, could contribute in a meaningful, concrete way in the effort to expand awareness about the critical role that enlightened hospice care can play, as it is likely to touch the lives of most families worldwide some time in the course of their lives.”

 “The Mercy Project” was published in 2010 shortly after my son was born. "Angels" © Tamara Voninski
My caption for the photograph "Angels":
A few years ago as my grandmother lay dying of cancer and she was transferred from a hospice to her home to die, my father asked me if I had any last words I wanted to say to her.  As I was living in Australia and my grandmother was dying in New York State, I realized that my 36 hour voyage via airplanes would not guarantee a hug goodbye in person.  My father suggested that I send an email to say goodbye, but I couldn't find the words.  What does one say? How can I capture the essence of a final message in words?  Instead, I sent a photograph of a group of angels on an escalator to symbolize the celestial world of the spirits of the afterlife that will take care of her on the other side. She looked at the photograph and nodded that she understood.  She passed away that evening.   In many ways, it is the most meaningful photograph I have ever captured because it was my long-distance goodbye to a family member.


The book includes well-known photographers from Magnum, Noor, VII, National Geographic Magazine as well as art photographers around the world.
The Making of The Mercy Project / Inochi is now on Vimeo and an insightful multimedia piece about the background and production of the project.





To order a copy of the book visit:



James Whitlow Delano is based in Tokyo, Japan.  He was in Australia las month showing his work from "Black Tsunami" which has been published recently as an ipad book (Foto Evidence through the itunes store).








No comments:

Post a Comment